Thursday, July 18, 2013

G&G Executive Director Greg Perez visits a Fair Trade Shop in Mestre



While traveling in parts of Europe, my mom and I stayed with locals who offered either rooms or full apartments for rent for even just a few days. It was not only a cheaper alternative to hotels, it was a great way to get to meet new people and tap into the local resident knowledge for the best places to go. On our Venice leg, my mom and I stayed with a wonderful mother and son living in Mestre, a bus ride away from Venezia. 

On one of our chats, Andrea mentioned that his mom works at a fair trade shop so I excitedly told him that I work in fair trade as well. When I finally met Giovanna, she graciously invited me to a meeting at the shop later that week and I eagerly accepted.

On the day of the meeting, my mom and I walked to the shop. It was a corner store with great window displays. Inside, the meeting was already in progress. The store, Coop El Fontego, was part of the altromercato fair trade store network.

During the meeting, one of the members was sharing their experience in eco-tourism in Iran and later there was a reading of one of Omar Khayyam's poems. We didn't really understand anything since the people spoke in Italian but you could feel the positive vibe in the room.











After the meeting, we got a chance to chat with Elisa and Giovanna. It was great to meet other people in fair trade. As with artisans du monde in France, altromercato stores are also mostly run by volunteers. 

Looking around the store, it was very inspiring to see great products from all over the world. There was a lovely embroidered tree of life from India, various baskets, stuffed toys, and also tarp bags. They also had some abaca boxes from the Philippines by CCAP. 

We went home with a cool hair care product and a minty salve for tired muscles, perfect after all the walking we did on our travels.



From left to right: Greg, Elisa, Giovanna, Melot (Greg's mom)


 
We took a group picture at the end of our visit. Unfortunately it was a little blurred but I'm sharing them anyway. Don't worry Elisa, you're right, my memories are much much better than the photos! 

Should you ever find yourselves in Mestre, drop by 

El Fontego
società cooperativa per un commercio equo e solidale

via Paruta 23/A, angolo via Aleardi - Mestre
(VE)
telefono 041/959463

www.elfontego.it
info@elfontego.it

sede legale:
via Fusinato 13 -
Mestre (VE)
C.F. e P.I. 03064800273
n°iscr. Albo Soc. Coop.: A132116
Reg. imprese e REA: VE-279665
 

Maybe next time there will be products from Gifts and Graces there! 

Ciao!

- Greg



No comments:

Post a Comment