Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Amazing Women: Haydee Panhilason


Sharing Knowledge and Skills to Generate Wealth


Haydee Panhilason – “Gusto ko pag umangat, sama-sama”

I come from a poor family where everyone had to do his/her share of work to ensure that the family survives. With this background, I endeavored to learn what I could, when I could and where I could”.

"I come from Negros (Occidental) where the main source of livelihood is to be a sacada worker. I am lucky because the owners of the hacienda where my family served are good and had the welfare of their workers at heart. They sent me to school”. So reveals Haydee Panhilason about her youth.

Given this background, Haydee took advantage of opportunities to learn, learn, learn. She attended seminars, training programs, asked people how things are done – she was not afraid to let people know she hungered for knowledge. What she learned, she shared - her knowledge and her skills. Soon, she was tapped to be a trainor’s trainer. Haydee underwent training to be a trainor and at present, she is on call at the Technology Learning and Resource Center as a professional trainor. On her own, Haydee has trained a group of women who could take her place when the need arises.

Haydee enjoys what she does – bringing opportunities to people, especially mothers, to earn and augment the family income. She has taught mothers in her neighborhood the art of sewing and the discipline of good work. “Kailangan maayos ang trabajo kasi pagpaulit-ulit, waste yon ng time and resources. When I first approached the mothers here, they were not doing anything productive so I told them I will teach them skills so they will earn something. They were willing to do that because I provide the raw materials and their finished product, I buy. Every group I approach, I give at least one month to show me that they are serious about what they are doing. If after a month and I see that they do not have the interest, I go to another group”. Haydee proudly shows off the products of her seminars and training of the mothers in the neighborhood. She has a display store in Payatas, Quezon City where people can buy products of her small communities.

Haydee has gone beyond training of communities. While she still does training, she has also formed a group of trained trainors. Her group of trainors go around the country giving seminars, training sessions during the times that Haydee cannot go herself. She is quite happy that on their own, these women trainors are earning incomes which augment their family income. While she has nothing against men trainors, she finds women trainors more receptive to the needs of the communities and more patient in dealing with them.

When first linked with Gifts and Graces, she told her communities to do their best because they are linked with G & G which will bring their products to SM. “Imagine sa Kultura idedisplay ang work ninyo, kaya pag-igihan ninyo. Hindi lahat ng communities may pagkakataong madiplay ang produkto sa Kultura. For that, I am grateful to Gifts and Graces”.

As Haydee looks back to her experiences and life as a trainor, Haydee looks forward to going back to her roots in Victorias, Negros Occidental where she believes her skills and knowledge are needed. As her way of giving back to the community where she was nurtured as a child, she will bring the opportunity for a better life to her community. She no longer has pressing concerns in Manila since she has fulfilled her obligations to her family – her children being of age and have now stable jobs; her husband readily supportive of her plans. Her success in bringing livelihood opportunities to others has brought fulfillment to her heart. As she says, “What makes my job worthwhile is being a major part of their (the communities she has trained) overall success”.

Gusto ko kasi, pag umangat, sama-sama (ang lahat)”.

- Gifts & Graces is proud to bring you the first of five inspiring stories showcasing our women leaders. 


No comments:

Post a Comment