Friday, November 11, 2011

A Conversation with Jessica Chittaphong









This month in Conversations we have Jessica Chittaphong who was with G&G from June to August 2010 through the Ambassador Corps program of the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California. When Jessica volunteered she had just completed a double degree B.A. International Relations and Global Studies and B.A. Asian Studies: Japanese Concentration. Today she has completed her Masters of Science (MSc) course at the London School of Economics in Global History with a focus was on globalization and Asia, as well as comparative world history. Whew! 

Here Jessica tells us what surprised her about the Philippines and what her trip to the Philippines and her volunteer experience taught her about herself.

G&G: Tell us your Name, Age, Nationality, Occupation
JC: Jessica Chittaphong, 28, American, Student


G&G: What made you decide to volunteer?
JC: I decided to volunteer at Gifts & Graces because I wanted to see social entrepreneurship in action and get some real experience. I firmly believe in helping people break free from the poverty trap by using their own ingenuity and keeping their dignity, instead of just inefficiently giving out hand-outs. The latter has proven to be unsustainable and does not provide people with new skills or instill them with a will to work.

G&G: What are two interesting things about the Philippines that the average person doesn't know?

JC: One, the Philippines has an almost disturbing amount of gigantic shopping malls! Two, One has to be a world class driver to drive on the streets of Manila!

G&G: As a volunteer how did you use your skills and experiences to help G&G and its advocacy?

Jessica at the G&G booth
at the Franchise Expo 2010
JC: As a volunteer, I used my research skills to estimate G&G's Social Returns on Investment. It was not all that acurate and I still had a lot to learn, but it provided the organization with a place to start. I also used my social skills when presenting and selling items at various expo's and fair trade shows. That was really fun because I got to meet a lot of people and everyone was curious to know what an American was doing selling painted newspaper bags.


G&G: What did you learn about yourself?
JC: During my time with Gifts and Graces I learned a lot about myself. I have a clearer understanding of what my strengths are, but more importantly I recognized what my weaknesses are. Challenging yourself is important, however; it is also advantageous to know one's limits. In the Philippines I also found out how much a person could adapt to any environment. I was in a foreign land, at night I could not get to sleep because it was so hot, and I almost got washed away during a flash flood. But because of the connections I made with the wonderful people I came in contact with and a positive attitude, even after only 3 short months, I thought of this foreign country as home.

G&G: Why should other people do volunteer work? What did you gain from it?
JC: Other people should volunteer because it definitely adds perspective to your life. Seeing all those people, who didn't really have a lot, working so hard, motivated me to try my best as well. When you are working for something bigger than yourself, you get a sense of satisfaction that you can't get elsewhere...and sometimes you get addicted to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment